It is September already – time sure flies by when you’re having fun! We have been having a super fun time indeed here at Site5, working on several significant projects all geared toward the larger goal of providing customers with an amazing web hosting experience!
Here are some of the key things that we have been working on:
- Our software development team is making great progress on the new billing system. There is no ETA still, but work is progressing well and we can’t wait to show it off to you! The other big item they have been working on is tools for staff that enable them to provide faster support.
- We continue to have open positions in the company, so if you know of anyone qualified for any of those jobs please have them apply! We recently wrote up a blog post about the internal workings of the company too, and potential job seekers may find that very interesting!
- While on open job positions, you may have noticed that our careers page advertises a lot of open positions for phone support reps. The goal here is to expand our phone support out to 24×7 coverage. No ETA on that yet though, but we’ll keep you posted.
- Last month we rolled out a feature that lets customers submit an idea to us. This has been quite a success and we are pleased to report that we have already implemented one of the suggestions from one of our customers. In case you have any ideas that you think can make us a better web hosting provider, please be sure to submit it to us!
- Site5 is one of the sponsors of SmartWebConf. a conference for Eastern European web designers and developers, in Bucharest, Romania. Some of our staff members in that part of the world will be in attendance, along with our CEO. A sizable number of our staff in Europe will also be attending WordCamp, the biggest WordPress conference in Europe, being held in Leiden, Netherlands.
- We continue to keep up our promise to the WordPress community of offering free WordPress themes. A new WordPress theme was released last month called Sunrise.
- As we have mentioned before, we want to give our customers the ability to host websites at locations very close to where their customers are. In keeping with this vision, we are constantly evaluating datacenters at new locations. Atlanta, GA is next on the list, and we will be making an official announcement soon.
- Our technology team as usual has been hard at work on improving the software systems that power our hosting platforms. Key items include:
- An updated version of our software firewall is being rolled out, with improvements such as better UDP flood protection.
- MySQL (Percona) is being upgraded from 5.1 to 5.5 across the fleet.
- Passenger will be upgraded to allow for multiple versions of Ruby.
- A dramatically faster installer for Apache, PHP and related software is in the works. This would allow us to do a full re-install under a couple of minutes.
- Work continues on deploying a new monitoring system with much better features than the one we’re using currently
That is all for now, I’ll leave you with this wonderful tune, in keeping with the fun spirit of September!
Feel free to ask any questions that you may have in the comments. Thanks!